Scratch draft
Jon Huggett
2011-03-24 08:39:44 UTC
In October the Wikimedia Foundation board resolved "the purpose of the movement roles project is to clarify the roles and responsibilites of different entities, groups and people working to support the international Wikimedia movement." It chartered a work group of ten people, and asked for recommendations and a draft charter by Wikimania in August.

Since then the work group has:
- grown from ten to seventeen [1]
- met to develop recommendations both online, and in person in Frankfurt in January [2]
- polled Wikimedians, both on wiki and through one-on-one interviews [3]
- surveyed other global NGO movements that might be considered "peers" [4]

We are still aiming to deliver recommendations and a draft charter in time for Wikimania in August, although progress has been slower than we had hoped. There were disappointing responses to our calls for interviews, and for on-wiki help with our initial questions, blog, fact base, and movement roles matrix. However, what we did hear in response to our initial questions was illuminating, even though the sample was neither large nor representative (nearly everyone we heard from is close to the chapters part of the movement). And, while each global NGO movement is unique, a scan of patterns and stated principles offers up some ideas for Wikimedia.

To popular request, the work group is developing some promising new models for Wikimedia groups and entities to work alongside national chapters. Ideally each of these will provide a multiple pillars to help the movement meet its goals, working collaboratively, or even competitively. The scan of peer movements shows that while a national structure has strengths (often in raising money or recruiting volunteers), it has issues, too. Some other global movements are either not investing in national entities, or are investing to integrate national bodies globally. We've put on wiki some ideas for new models and would love ideas, input and assistance. [5]

It's fair to say that a kaleidoscope of new models raises concerns among those who have worked hard to build up the national chapters. Recognition of 'non-national' chapters has been vexed, with recognition for 'sub-national' chapters being contingent there not yet being a national chapter. So far, there has been no recognition of chapters reflecting nations not yet recognized by the UN, such as Catalonia or Quebec. Some have questioned whether the Wikimedia Foundation should open offices in countries where chapters already exist, such as India.

In Berlin we are looking to hear from everyone their thoughts on potential new models. From this we will develop our charter and recommendations on roles, responsibilities and accountability.

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/Participants
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_working_group
[3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_working_group/Responses_to_initial_questions
[4] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_working_group/Learnings_from_peer_organizations