Where are we standing now?
Alice Wiegand
2011-12-15 16:02:54 UTC
Hi SJ, hi all,

the last input to this mailing list was made by SJ a day before the
board meeting in October. Phoebe announced the minutes (
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2011-10-07 ) at the end of
November and stated on internal-l that there where no decisions or
votes regarding movement roles. Nothing else.

Is there something going on currently? Can we hear some of the voices
of your board discussion? Are you planning next steps in the process?
The preparation for the chapters meeting is going to begin soon. If
the movement roles project still exists, there is no way to not
present something or reanimate it at that meeting. What are we going
to do?

Unfortunately I feel not only frustrated about the process but also
uninformed about the current status. And I mean both, the status of
the movement roles process (which doesn't really look like doing any
kind of processing) and the status of this group. Is there still a
group existing? Is there still interest in having a group (formerly
called core team)? What are the tasks the group is responsible for? In
my last mail I talked about burying and reanimation and more than then
I would prefer to put an end to it at this stage and officially
restart next year with a new team and defined roles and tasks.

If you want us/me/the chapters/the wm-universe to remain part of this,
you need to give us more information. Please.

Regards, Alice.
Theo10011
2011-12-15 16:31:28 UTC
I would like to echo Alice, and say that, I have been completely out of
touch of any updates for the past few months. After the Berlin meeting, and
the IRC discussion, I have not head a single conversation about Movement
Roles. I saw that Sue referred to Movement roles 2 in an IRC meeting a
couple of months ago, she was surprised that I was not aware, I had no idea
there was a second iteration of Movement roles(still not sure). There has
been little to no discussion about this, I wasn't informed about any
discussions at Haifa or the presentation to the board. Like Alice, I'm
frustrated by the lack of information and communication.

I did however, have a conversation with Bishakha about it very recently, we
were planning on talking more about it next year since the holidays are
just around the corner. I still have no idea what the status is, and if
there is going to be a future to the discussions but I am more than willing
to participate. I would like to see some conclusion to the process. I would
be happy to start or partake in discussions again, if others are interested.

Regards
Theo

Bishakha Datta
2011-12-16 03:18:38 UTC
I hear and share both your frustrations - did talk to Theo this week
(thanks, that was very helpful). Not much has happened at the Board end,
but will update in any case.

Can't do it today - in an all-day conference, but will do so tomorrow and
reply to both your specific questions/comments.

Best
Bishakha

Bishakha Datta
2011-12-18 06:22:33 UTC
Hello,

Am replying to your questions inline to the best of my ability. SJ may be
in a better position to provide more info.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Alice Wiegand <me.lyzzy-gM/Ye1E23mwN+***@public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Hi SJ, hi all,
>
> the last input to this mailing list was made by SJ a day before the
> board meeting in October. Phoebe announced the minutes (
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2011-10-07 ) at the end of
> November and stated on internal-l that there where no decisions or
> votes regarding movement roles. Nothing else.

Movement Roles was allocated 1.5 hours at the board meeting. That is
nowhere near enough to seriously discuss the three items that Sam placed
before the full board:

- Endorsing a movement charter:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/charter
- Endorsing three new models for organizations, in addition to the
current Chapters: partner organizations, informal associations and
affiliates
- Appointing an Affiliations Committee, which would include members from
the Board, to expand on the current Chapters Committee model by working
with all types of Wikimedia organizations.

Board members asked some broader questions since there wasn't enough time
to go into the substance of it:
How specific does a charter need to be in order to be useful?
Is something that is very general useful enough?
How can one strike a balance between stating general principles and
ensuring they are worded tightly enough to mean something substantial?
How long should a charter be? While most trustees felt this should be tight
and concise, similar to what's being developed, a minority were in favour
of a much longer charter, upto 100 pages.
How will entities in the movement signal their acceptance of the charter?
No conclusions were reached on any of these - perhaps this is something for
the MR workgroup to consider.

The proposed new models and the proposed affiliations committee were
discussed together. There was general support for the idea of having new
models. On the proposed models themselves, there were questions about the
specific 'names': partner orgs, informal associations, affiliates - it was
suggested that the names be reviewed again for precision and to ensure
there is no confusion about the type of group. For example, 'cultural
groups' or 'cultural chapters'?
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles/summary/New_Models

Jon Huggett was also present at this part of the meeting. As far as I know,
his contract ended on 31 October - but I wonder if he is still on this
list. (Jon, are you here?)

Following this, an IRC Board Discussion was held on 6 Nov to carry the New
Models/Affiliations Committee discussion forward. Here, the main question
was about the nature of the Affiliations Committee - Is it to be a board
committee? A staff committee? What form could this committee take? We were
tasked to ask the MR workgroup to think further about these.

I am reconstructing the main points from board emails/memory. SJ has the
draft summary of the IRC chat and can add more.

> Is there something going on currently? Can we hear some of the voices
> of your board discussion? Are you planning next steps in the process?

We definitely need to plan next steps in the process together - this has
languished enough. SJ and I have had two very short conversations about
this; he has been really busy, but I'm hopeful that we can restart the
planning process from the coming week.

> The preparation for the chapters meeting is going to begin soon. If
> the movement roles project still exists, there is no way to not
> present something or reanimate it at that meeting. What are we going
> to do?
>
> Let us start discussing this once we restart the planning process; my
personal goal is to get Movement Roles moving again before the year is out,
along with an agreed process in place for doing so. Agreed by those who are
part of the MR working group, I mean. (Very similar to what you state in
your next para, and I'm prepared to put in time towards this.)

All ideas welcome.

> Unfortunately I feel not only frustrated about the process but also
> uninformed about the current status. And I mean both, the status of
> the movement roles process (which doesn't really look like doing any
> kind of processing) and the status of this group. Is there still a
> group existing? Is there still interest in having a group (formerly
> called core team)? What are the tasks the group is responsible for? In
> my last mail I talked about burying and reanimation and more than then
> I would prefer to put an end to it at this stage and officially
> restart next year with a new team and defined roles and tasks.
>
> I fully share your frustration. This has been a stop-start process right
from the beginning, moving in fits and starts. And many times when we seem
to be getting somewhere, we then go into hibernation. I am tired of the
number of times I have had to go back and re-read every single thing on the
MR pages on meta to refresh my memory before a re-start.

And I agree that the last three months has been particularly frustrating,
with hardly any movement or information or anything happening. I can only
apologize on behalf of all the three board members who are on Movement
Roles: none of us took the initiative to move things forward or to at least
provide information to this list.(This is my belated attempt at doing so).
I think the three of us need to sort out our roles among ourselves more
clearly, so we can provide back-ups to each other when one of us may be
exceptionally busy. We don't have such a system in place and we need one if
we are to move ahead purposively, as opposed to in fits and starts.

About whether or not the MR group still exists, there are certainly
individuals who seem interested in seeing this through.

About the tasks that the group is responsible for, SJ and I had a brief
chat yesterday and we both feel it would good for individuals in the group
to take more responsibility for seeing through specific pieces or
recommendations from MR that they feel passionately about. For instance,
smaller workgroups could be formed around each of these recommendations
with specific mandates. Others who are interested in these but not part of
the MR list could come in too. See
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles/recommendations/board and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles/recommendations for the
current set of proposed recommendations.

So overall, I agree that something needs to be done, something that can
move this forward meaningfully towards a conclusion.

I hope that we will have more specifics later this week, but until then, it
would be most excellent if anyone on this list could put forward their
thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc. so that all these could be considered as
part of the 're-imagining' of Movement Roles.

Best
Bishakha
Abbas Mahmood
2012-01-27 04:57:52 UTC
Hello,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Alice Wiegand <***@googlemail.com> wrote
The preparation for the chapters meeting is going to begin soon. If

the movement roles project still exists, there is no way to not

present something or reanimate it at that meeting. What are we going

to do?

<<Bishakha wrote>>:Let us start discussing this once we restart the planning process; my personal goal is to get Movement Roles moving again before the year is out, along with an agreed process in place for doing so. Agreed by those who are part of the MR working group, I mean. (Very similar to what you state in your next para, and I'm prepared to put in time towards this.)
Could we have an IRC chat soon, to see how we can get things going?
//Abbas.
Anirudh Bhati
2012-01-29 08:31:49 UTC
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Abbas Mahmood <abbasjnr-***@public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Could we have an IRC chat soon, to see how we can get things going?

Yes, please. Can we do this on Saturday, 4 February 2012 at 1500 hrs UTC?

Thanks,

Anirudh

Joan Goma
2012-01-29 09:09:40 UTC
I think the problem with movement roles is that we are covering a very
broad and complex set of issues. If the we could center the topic in
smaller pieces one after the other perhaps it could arouse more interest
and may be progressing slowly but firmly. Maybe Saturday 4 is not
appropriate because the board members are meeting. But on Saturday, 11 can
be a good time to see if we can start it again.

Samuel Klein
2012-01-29 20:13:44 UTC
Saturday Feb 11 works for me. Other dates before then could work as
well. I've set up a doodle:

http://www.doodle.com/af7wmh2tviux2c2x

Please fill out when you would be free for a 60 min. IRC meeting.

A draft agenda is here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Movement_roles#February_2012_meeting

If you have been working on a specific topic related to MR (like the
Chapters Council, or an MR-related argument about funds-flow) that you
could quickly present at the meeting, please note that.

SJ
Abbas Mahmood
2012-01-30 11:43:58 UTC
SJ,
Thanks for setting up he Doodle.
Just an inquiry: On what timezone have you based the times that you put on Doodle?
//Abbas.

Lodewijk
2012-01-30 12:28:48 UTC
Hi Abbas,

in the doodle you can select your own timezone, and it will adapt.

Best,
Lodewijk

No dia 30 de Janeiro de 2012 12:43, Abbas Mahmood

Abbas Mahmood
2012-01-30 13:21:49 UTC
Thanks, Lodewijk :)

From: lodewijk-***@public.gmane.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:28:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [Movementroles] Fwd: Where are we standing now?
To: abbasjnr-***@public.gmane.org
CC: meta.sj-***@public.gmane.org; jrgoma-***@public.gmane.org; movementroles-RusutVdil2icGmH+***@public.gmane.orgorg

Samuel Klein
2012-01-30 23:15:35 UTC
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Joan Goma <jrgoma-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think the problem with movement roles is that we are covering a very broad
> and complex set of issues. If the we could center the topic in smaller
> pieces one after the other perhaps it could arouse more interest and may be
> progressing slowly but firmly.

Yes.

For example:
- Agreeing on shared standards and review models -- combining recent
work on many different fronts.

Work has been done by different groups on a Chapters Council model
that was intended to include review of adherence to movement
standards; on the recommended accountability standards; on recent
internal audits and fairly visible review of annual plans by larger
chapters. Others have been working on standards for grant acceptance
and implementation via the GAC.

If we solidify a set of standards that covers the major issues
different parts of the movement face, that provides a cornerstone for
many other MR issues : peer review, coordination of planning, share
principles.

SJ.
Alice Wiegand
2012-01-31 19:07:48 UTC
Hi SJ and all,

the board meeting's agenda provides 2,5 hours for movement roles.
Enough reason to meet at IRC after your meeting (and that's what the
table shows). Is it possible to give us (the few people once called
core team) a short summary of what you are going to present to the
board and what is the expected outcome of the session? The estimated
time takes a huge part in your meeting and I would take it as a sign
of respect and trust, if you could share your ideas with us before the
meeting.

I think everyone involved here knows that in these time we can't
separate movement roles from the fundraising and funds dissemination
issues. Today we have heard that the board wishes to involve
non-chapter entities in the chapter selected seats process. Things are
definitely changing. People are worried. I don't believe that it is
only me who is wondering why things again are going to be discussed
without any information to this group. It would be great if you could
make it now.

Regards, Alice.
Lodewijk
2012-01-31 19:12:14 UTC
I agree - we should try to prevent the image that the 'name tag' of this
group is only used to push an opinion of a few individuals. I expressed my
concerns and regrets over the inactivity of this group (and the imho too
low involvement of the involved stakeholders, no matter whose fault it is)
before, and we should indeed be careful to push too much too quickly.
Although there is some momentum for change, the situation is also
potentially combustible.

Lodewijk

No dia 31 de Janeiro de 2012 20:07, Alice Wiegand

Galileo Vidoni
2012-01-31 19:19:07 UTC
I agree with both of you. Most of our discussions took place when the
situation regarding fundraising, funds dissemination and the perceived
attitude of the Foundation towards the chapters' model in general was
fairly different (and we had no influence on such changes). I don't find it
acceptable that some potentially outdated proposals are taken as the
current, global and final position of this working group --not because they
aren't applicable now, but because if we had discussed them later our
conclussions could have been somewhat different.

Best,
galio

Alice Wiegand
2012-01-31 22:12:35 UTC
Hi Galileo,

On 31 January 2012 20:19, Galileo Vidoni <galio2k-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I agree with both of you. Most of our discussions took place when the
> situation regarding fundraising, funds dissemination and the perceived
> attitude of the Foundation towards the chapters' model in general was fairly
> different (and we had no influence on such changes). I don't find it
> acceptable that some potentially outdated proposals are taken as the
> current, global and final position of this working group --not because they
> aren't applicable now, but because if we had discussed them later our
> conclussions could have been somewhat different.

thanks for adding this so clearly.

Alice.
Samuel Klein
2012-02-01 20:38:17 UTC
On 1/31/12, Galileo Vidoni <galio2k-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I agree with both of you. Most of our discussions took place when the
> situation regarding fundraising, funds dissemination and the perceived
> attitude of the Foundation towards the chapters' model in general was
> fairly different (and we had no influence on such changes).

Yes (and yes). I am not sure that the Foundation's attitude towards
the chapters model has changed in the past year, but its perceived
attitude certainly has, thanks to significant changes in communication
and planning. This issue will be addressed this weekend and at the
fundraising summit, and will take some time to work out, since parties
involved are not always using the same language with one another or
over time.

> I don't find it acceptable that some potentially outdated proposals are taken
> as the current, global and final position of this working group

Don't worry, they will not be taken that way.

> aren't applicable now, but because if we had discussed them later our
> conclussions could have been somewhat different.

Considering and reaching such different conclusions is important.

Lodewijk writes:
>> we should indeed be careful to push too much too quickly.
>> Although there is some momentum for change, the situation is
>> also potentially combustible.

Ideally we would help find ways to reduce combustion.

Alice Wiegand
2012-02-01 19:21:21 UTC
Bishakha, may I copy these two paragraphs to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Movement_roles/charter
respectively http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Movement_roles/summary/models
where they could help to understand the board's questions on the
drafts and hopefully will lead to some discussion?

Regards, Alice.

Bishakha Datta
2012-02-01 19:26:22 UTC
Sure. I am dashing to catch a flight to San Francisco, but one of us will
reply to your other email on what will be presented at the board meeting
3-4 Feb.

Bye for now,
Bishakha